It's about time that I've started this blog. I've been wrestling with how to share our latest adventure in Riga, Latvia. Honestly, it has kept my brain active at night! I'm not the most technologically savvy (that's putting it mildly) and that was one issue. Another was, who would want to read about our family? Or could I be entertaining enough for anyone to want to read my "articles". In the end, I realized that we have a lot of family and friends (who really are our extended family) that want to know what the Hatton's are up to in Riga, Latvia.
So we've been here for a month and 1/2 and it was this week that I thought, "I feel like this is home". What a crazy thought!
Last week, we went to a department store and bought a pull out couch for the spare room. The saleslady had little to no English but Sonny was able to communicate with his minimal Latvian (we also played a bit of charades). We were able to communicate that we needed time to discuss the purchase, that we needed to see how the couch folded out, and once deciding on the purchase, what day we wanted the couch delivered. I shake my head to think about it. So this Monday, the couch came. The poor delivery man wanted my signature and something else on the delivery form - unfortunately, I did not understand. He finally shook his head and left!
What was interesting was that it wouldn't have mattered if I had known any Latvian... he only spoke Russian! Life here is all about laughing our way through it. We are very fortunate because many Latvians understand and speak some amount of English.
To finish off this first attempt at sharing our experiences, let me say that we have now had our first visitor and Kristan was still smiling when I dropped her at the airport. The couch was a success! The Hatton house is officially open for visitors.
Pagaidām atā (Bye for now),
So we've been here for a month and 1/2 and it was this week that I thought, "I feel like this is home". What a crazy thought!
Last week, we went to a department store and bought a pull out couch for the spare room. The saleslady had little to no English but Sonny was able to communicate with his minimal Latvian (we also played a bit of charades). We were able to communicate that we needed time to discuss the purchase, that we needed to see how the couch folded out, and once deciding on the purchase, what day we wanted the couch delivered. I shake my head to think about it. So this Monday, the couch came. The poor delivery man wanted my signature and something else on the delivery form - unfortunately, I did not understand. He finally shook his head and left!
What was interesting was that it wouldn't have mattered if I had known any Latvian... he only spoke Russian! Life here is all about laughing our way through it. We are very fortunate because many Latvians understand and speak some amount of English.To finish off this first attempt at sharing our experiences, let me say that we have now had our first visitor and Kristan was still smiling when I dropped her at the airport. The couch was a success! The Hatton house is officially open for visitors.
Pagaidām atā (Bye for now),
Chantal
PS If you like what I wrote or you want to hear about something specific, please leave me a comment or send me an email!
Yea! It's up and running. I'm honored to have been your first guest and encouraged that you're still inviting others after it. 😉
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea. Thank you for doing this. We all get to feel a little closer to you. Warmest wishes. Tiksimies nākamreiz.
ReplyDeleteLove it!! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.
ReplyDeletePS Its me, Joce, writing this. I think Mark's email address will appear and I don't know how to change that!! I too am not technologically savvy!!
Write on! Glad to have another author in the family. I look forward to reading all your posts.
ReplyDeleteLove it, sis! Awesome job.
ReplyDeleteSounds like an adventure and I can't wait to read more. Keep going!
ReplyDeleteHey neighbour, we miss you guys, Lincoln especially. Keep us posted on your adventures too.
ReplyDelete