Monday, November 5, 2018

Reflections on Freedom


It is November.  The month that always brings to mind all the freedoms that we hold dear to our hearts.  The Freedom Monument (Brivibas Piemineklis) is a memorial, honouring soldiers killed during the Latvian War of Independence and is a symbol of the freedom, independence, and sovereignty of Latvia.   If you are walking around Riga, you will certainly pass by it.  I love looking at the woman carrying the three stars above her head.  She is impressive. 


November is the time for wearing our poppies on our hearts, as well.  I didn't realise how Canadian that was until moving to Latvia.  I actually had someone recognise me as a Canadian because of said poppy.  Surprisingly, I have also had other people ask me why I was wearing it.  I have spent most of my life knowing what the poppy stood for and all the respect, feelings and emotions that I have when I wear the poppy.  

I cannot quite put into words the feelings that I have for Sonny but they hit me like a wave this weekend when he put on his Mess kit for an event that we had this weekend.  He makes me so proud and humbled to be able to stand by his side.  The Army life can be a challenge at times.  It takes Sonny away from our family and quite often, even when he is home, his mind is still working away.  Most of the time, I feel pretty supportive but then there are the other times...  But I'm a work in progress!  


Life provides us with many opportunities and if you're like me, I have a fantastic and blessed life.  It is this way because we have soldiers all over the world, working for all the freedoms and liberties that we can sometimes take for granted.  Just something to think about.  I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures Say a 1000 Words

Just photos for this post. Ok, and a few words (I couldn’t resist). Many pictures were taken during our walks in the neighbourhood.  There a...